Posts Tagged ‘Pizza’
I was going to title this post “Recipe Download” since I am going to do a summary post of some of the awesome food I have been trying but then I realized that technically it is a recipe upload since it is online.
Classic Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Salad
The easiest (but possible most tasty) vegetarian recipe of the bunch! This can vary in a million different ways but here is what I used
– 2 large tomatoes (most people use cherry tomatoes)
– Mozzarella chunks (I buy mine from Sam’s Club- SO MUCH CHEAPER)
– Fresh Basil (fresh is critical here)
– Little splash of Olive Oil
– Balsamic Vinegar
– Pretty simple. Put it all in a bowl and mix it up! Let sit for just a bit before you eat (maybe an hour)
Tomato, Mozzarella, Basil PIZZA
You are probably seeing a trend? I love tomatoes. I love mozzarella cheese. I love basil. Oh and I LOVE pizza. So this is one of my all time favorites!
– Pita (I use 100% Whole Wheat)
– Tomatoes (I just used 1 large tomato and cut into slices)
– Fresh basil (again the fresh is KEY)
– Olive Oil
– Garlic Salt
– Salt and Pepper
– Brush your pita with a little bit of olive oil and put some salt and pepper on top. Stick is in the oven at 350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes just to give it a little cooking. Slice your tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella and put on the pizza. Bake it for about 15 minutes at 350 (A little longer if it is not quite crisp enough) and TADA. Delicious better for you pizza.
Quinoa, Kale, and Veggie Salad
I adapted this recipe from here and of course I found the recipe on Pinterest. Because where else would you go for recipes now a days?
– 1 bunch Kale
– 2/3 cups White Quinoa (you could use red but I like the regular better)
– Avocado (I used a whole one)
– Cucumber (I used 1 small one)
– 1/2 Red Peppers
– 1 tablespoon feta
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (I squeezed)
– 1.5 tablespoons dijon mustard
– Salt and Pepper to taste (it’s always to taste for me)
– First steam your kale. I used an actually steamer but you could do it on the stove or in the microwave. It softens the kale and takes the bitterness and the bite that a lot of people don’t like about raw kale out. But only do it for like 5 minutes. Soften but don’t make it floppy and gross.
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and salt and pepper in a bowl until it all becomes one dressing.
– Put the veggies on top of the kale and the dressing on top of that and then you have a mouth watering meal.
Seriously… this is SO GOOD. Even the hubby LOVED it!
And that is about it. Put shrimp with ANYTHING.
– Shrimp (I use frozen from Sam’s Club- cheapest there) and just thaw out about 2 handfuls for dinner for 2
– Seasonings- I use whatever we are feeling like but my favorite is usually the lemon pepper seasoning
– Saute shrimp in the pan on low heat. You don’t really need oil because the water from the shrimp will help cook it. After the shrimp is cooked through add the seasoning. If it starts to clump a bit add a dash of olive oil.
– Then the best thing about this is that you can throw it with anything. Salads. Pastas. Or just eat it by itself which is what Tim and I did!
I adapted this recipe from here and gosh it was easy and delicious. Oh and that link also has some GREAT tips for storing vegetables so check it out even if you don’t want or like eggplant. This recipe only takes a few ingredients.
1 large onion, peeled & diced
2 large eggplant, sliced into rounds about 1.5cm (1/2in) thick
2 x 400g (140z) can tomatoes
1 bunch basil, leaves picked
2 large handfuls freshly grated parmesan cheese + extra to serve
– Cook the onion on the stove and while those are cooking until they are translucent sprinkle some salt on the eggplant (but not too much because we overdid it a bit). Add some tomatoes and some basil to the onions and simmer for 30 minutes (get all of those tomatoes all broken up!)
- Preheat the oven to 425 and oil a baking tray. Pat the eggplant dry to remove that excess salt and place the eggplant in a single layer on the tray and drizzle with more olive oil. Bake for 20-30 minutes turning over the eggplant once or twice.
- After that is done, just lay the sauce and the eggplant and cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve and eat! ENJOY!
**the key is really to get that salt off and the moisture out as much as you possibly can**
Tofu Stir Fry
My inspiration for this recipe came from here and this was my first go at tofu! But here is what I did!
- 1 package firm tofu (I recommend extra firm)
- Lo mein noodles
- Red Peppers
- Green Onions
- Soy Sauce
- Olive Oil
- REALLY squeeze out the tofu. Wrap it in a paper towel and then set a really heavy pan on it to get all of the water out. This is key.
- Put it on the stove with some olive oil and cook until brown and firmed up
- Cook the lo mein noodles according to the package
- Cook all of the veggies (onions first) on the stove and cook them up!
- Add the veggies and tofu together. Add them to the noodles. Put some soy sauce on stop and BAM. Easy and delicious.
**the recipe linked has A LOT of other steps. I didn’t have the ingredients so I had to just make it work but the full recipe also sounds delicious**
Stay tuned for 2 more recipes in the next few days that are show-stoppers! Or at least really good dinners!
Happy Birthday Casey!!
The other night we all went out to celebrate Casey’s birthday! Her birthday was actually about a week ago but her parents were in town that weekend so we waited a weekend to celebrate. Casey loves to eat out but she certainly has her favorite restaurants. She loved Momocho the first time we went there so we were hoping to maybe squeeze in a reservation there again but they were full (weekend after Valentine’s Day I guess). So we over to Bricco in downtown Akron and had a great meal!
I had never been to that Bricco since I am just a huge fan of Café Bricco which is only about 5 minutes from our house. We like to do there for date nights with each other, date nights with others, and just on random evenings when we don’t want to cook! So I can’t say that I am surprised that I also really enjoyed the regular Bricco in downtown Akron.
We started the meal by ordering fancy drinks! Tim and I both had a lemon drop.
While Casey opted for the California martini (one of my favorites) and Mark got a beer!
After drinks were ordered we dug into the menu. There was pretty much no doubt in mine or Casey’s mind that we would choose the goat cheese and marinara appetizer served with fried pitas.. but not like hard fried just like quickly deep tried for a delicious warm slightly chewy but crunchy texture! I didn’t even get to snap a picture of that because it was gone so quickly!
Casey, Mark, and I are all big fans of pizza. Tim likes weird pizzas (which serves him well here) but is not a fan of just a plain old fashioned pepperoni pizza. I know… totally weird right? But I suppose it reduces the amount I eat pizza because I could probably eat it every day haha.
We chose this pizza that is like a Mexican style pizza with lots of goodies on it. beans, cheese, tortilla strips, and just about everything delicious you can think of! I can’t say for sure but this is probably Tim’s favorite pizza there so he was all good with sharing!
The other pizza we got was a margarita pizza that I also added chicken to on one side. There is just something about that tomato and mozzarella combo that I can’t get enough of!
Although I did have enough and the 4 of us only managed to make it about half way through each pizza. They would have been delicious the next day if we didn’t forget the left overs laying on the table! UGH all 4 of us were so sad about that.
On a non-related food note I saved a boy that evening. This couple, clearly on their first date, were walking out the door of the restaurant and due to Casey laughing at how awkward they were and how you could clearly tell they were on their first date, I turned around. Well lucky for them Casey is funny because I saw the boy drop his entire wallet out of his suit jacket pocket as he flung the jacket on. So me, being the good citizen I am, ran over and said WAIT and they tried to ignore me and kept walking. haha guess that is what I get for being nice? Finally, after I said it about 2 more times, he turned around and found m.. smiling with his wallet in my hand. He was very grateful after that!
Although I think that is a bad sign for a first date? I wonder if things worked out.
After dinner we went to .. drum roll please because I know you will be oh so surprised… MENCHIES! yay for Frozen Yogurt- I can’t help but to remember my first trip to Menchies every time I say it!! I snagged a cute pic of Casey and Tim before we got into the car and also took a pic of my deliciousness for you all to enjoy!
and then I got a message the next day of this beautiful thing enjoying some Frozen Yogurt at Lemonberry (I think it may be owned by the same people that own Pinkberry which is where I had FroYo in Nashville), the new place on Medina Square! Apparently they gave her evil laugh to my sister when I said I was jealous of her! I can just hear that little evil laugh in my head now! HEHEHEHEHEHEEHE.
So this probably goes without saying but what a great night it was! Celebrating and laughing with friends is what I consider to be one of the greatest joys in life!
I hope you had a great birthday Casey!!
I know I owe you some serious updates but my life has been so crazy I feel like I haven’t been able to breath let alone make some updates but our friend Adam told me he kicked of out of his favorite bookmarks so I figure it is about time!
The most exciting update to make… WE FOUND BRIDESMAID DRESSES! Casey, Rose, Kara, and myself spent a few hours together yesterday at Catans Bridal (where I also purchased my wedding gown), tried on a few things, and finally settled on the ones! Yes, ones!
Turns out, not to my surprise, but all of my girls are completely different so we ended up with each girl having same color, same fabric, same designer, but different style dresses! Every single one of them looked BEAUTIFUL and I could not ask for a more beautiful, smart, and wonderful bridal party. It was a pretty painless process for me and I hope it was for the girls and more than that I hope that they love the dress they decided on! Tim and I had talked about having the girls in different styles and I was nervous that 2 of them would like 1 of the styles and then how do you choose who get it right? Well, lucky for me I suppose each girl wanted a different one and I think (assuming they were telling me the truth) they all got their favorite style! YAY for wedding fun to be accomplished.
After dinner we headed back to my house and had an amazingly fun evening! Casey, Rose, Adam, Tim, and myself had a pizza night that ended in a burnt disaster. So much of a burnt disaster in fact that when Casey went home to see Mark after he got back from bowling he told her that she smelled like something burnt haha. Well, it was our pizza! We tried hard but in the end that oven must have had it ought for us and decided to burn the crap out of our pizza. Lucky for us Casey made some delicious guacamole for an appetizer and Tim made some cheesy dip. I filled up on the guac so it was a wonderful meal for me haha burnt pizza and all.
After dinner, Rose and Casey had an impression competition on the Wii Just Dance game. Casey came out the winner every game but I gotta say Rose had some pretty serious dance moves. As Rose and Casey were dancing the night away and Adam was laughing and watching I walked into the kitchen hugged Tim and said “ya know, we have really great friends and I love them.” I think about this a lot but for some reason in that moment I realized just how lucky I am to have such wonderful friends in our lives. I appreciate each and every one of them and I know that not everyone has that so I am just so grateful I do!
We also checked out some old school Darren’s Dance Grooves and Rose and I very impressively learned the Britney Spears dance. We finished our evening with The Hangover movie, which I made it through about 25 min of before falling asleep! Too much fun for this girl!
I have a VERY long week ahead of me at work so it was so nice to have a ton of fun with some best friends this weekend!!